Archive for September, 2010

Radiators and Boiler(25Sep10)

Saturday, September 25th, 2010

I decided to fit the boiler on the wall. A bit disappointed that it is missing the fixing frame and all but one of the clips that hold the cover on, but I managed to bodge it onto the wall using some steel box section….seems pretty stable. Unfortunately I didn’t realize the metal box under the cover was also missing a clip, and the one clip snapped and knocked the cover off – I now have a disfigured boiler, but at least only cosmetic. I have also discovered that I will need to get a controller for it as it isn’t just a time clock, it controls the boiler functions. Also need to get LPG nozzles from Germany and a flue – all in about ?รบ200 delivered to UK………..may be a while until we get heat.

Good news on the radiators – I have been given 2 new radiators surplus to a job, one new radiators in return for a kids bed and 3 second hand radiators which are perfectly usable. I am going to put the 2 new ones in the kids bedrooms.


Friday, September 17th, 2010

We have been bumbling around with various jobs – nothing worth taking pictures of. Trying to make the house as wind proof as possible.

I continued to partition off the utility area in the barn and also make a doorway which I can block off. It will also help to keep the cold from the main part of the house. I didn’t quite get it finished because I have now totally run out of plasterboard slabs and timber. I finished the partition with scraps of plasterboard which i’ll change later. It will have to do for the near future. I am going to add a second cat flap internally so that the door between the utility and the lounge can also be closed. Luckily I kept the one from the cratloe house.

New door(11Sep10)

Saturday, September 11th, 2010

Finally got a door made and hung in the dining room. Also put a framework together to divide the barn so the cats can’t pee on my tools. Need to add more uprights and some noggins but this is all the timber I have for now.

Pointing and rocklaying(03Sep10)

Friday, September 3rd, 2010

Continued the fireplace wall today. Building in stone is a lot harder than it looks.


Thursday, September 2nd, 2010

Didn’t do a lot today – fell asleep after work!

We lit the fire again to try and dry the room – also got a birds eye pic of our huge rock..

On Tuesday I also made a concrete step for the front door and yesterday rehung the door so that we can put a rubber strip under. Sue touched up the gloss paint.

Testing the fireplace(01Sep10)

Wednesday, September 1st, 2010

Finally put the stove into a proper fireplace today – It gobbled up the three logs we lit. Very promising

Josh also helped me lift a huge stone above the doorway – we are trying to replace what the builders destroyed when they lost the original stones.

September 2010
« Aug   Oct »