Archive for September, 2009

Waste pipes(30Sep09)

Wednesday, September 30th, 2009

I fitted the waste pipes below the floor in Josh’s bathroom – last of the upstairs plumbing except for fixing the shower tray with cement as per the instructions. That is a huge milestone for me – it seemed to be a never ending task.

(more boring pics to be added here!)

Master Shower(28Sep09)

Monday, September 28th, 2009

Here’s the master bedroom shower ready for tiling………bit dirty and it’s not really blue, just the plastic cover…..although the blue, green white and brown combination is interesting…….

Pump House(23Sep09)

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009


Have been working the last few days and feeling under the weather with man Flu (worse than Swine Flu) so progress is slow.

I did construct a brick surround around the well using all the scrap bricks lying around. The worse bricklaying I have ever seen…….I made the mistake of?á starting it after work and then it got dark.?á No pictures, sorry.?á Hopefully when it’s either timber or stone clad it will look ok. For now it just needs to be waterproof and secure so does the job. I may post a picture if I can find an angle it looks good from.

Concrete base(19Sep09)

Saturday, September 19th, 2009

Not much to show – Josh and I constructed a concrete base around the well so that the pump can be relocated outside. Sue did some painting. Bex just looked bored…….

Showers and wastes(18Sep09)

Friday, September 18th, 2009

I finally got the master bedroom shower in place and combined the waste with the bath in Bex room – also did both sink wastes.

Running water(17Sep09)

Thursday, September 17th, 2009


Well, progress again.

I spent the whole day working on the well. Not sure why it turned out to be such a difficult job but it nearly sent me over the edge.

It took me three plumbing merchants to get the elusive missing fitting……Great!… but then the challenge started. That black pipe may look innocent and quiet but it really tries to hurt you when you’re putting two conflicting coils of 1inch diameter and 1.25inch diameter plastic pipe down a 5inch tube for 150 feet.

Then imagine when you have to try and pull the buggers out again full of water because you think you did something wrong…. really made me sweat.?á I primed the pump about 20 times which involves filling both pipes with water up to the pump, then running it and hoping it sucks.?á NO IT DIDN’T

Eventually at ten to six in the evening (I started out at 0840) I decided to tweak the pressure relief valve at the top of the pump and it started to work.

And then it totally drenched me.?á?á?á?á?á?á?á?á?á?á?á?á?á?á?á?á?á Ah well.

Water(16Sep09)

Wednesday, September 16th, 2009

Had some bad news about the submersible pump that we were going to use for the well. It is apparently drawing too many amps and has probably been water damaged. I managed to find an alternative solution which is cheaper than a submersible pump with all the accessories. It is a pump and pressure tank combined which works with two pipes into the well. One to blow air down, one to suck water up. I’m just missing one fitting to get it working so can’t wait until tomorrow……

Update(14Sep09)

Monday, September 14th, 2009

I made some changes to the plumbing. The cold feed to the hot water cylinder now takes a more direct route because I had an air lock,?áand the hot water is also following an easier route. I still didn’t have a lot of pressure, especially in the hot water, so I also raised the cold water tank. It’s now at the highest it will go in our half sized attic, and still the pressure isn’t great. The base of the cold water tank is 2′ (61cm) above the ceiling which means the shower in bex room?á has a head of 3’6″ (106cm) plus the height of the water in the tank. I wired in an immersion heater and ran hot water through the system. The shower is warm, but slooow. Still, at least she has the option of a bath! It’s really frustrating – I seem to have spent weeks going over old ground and getting nowhere.

Birds(06Sep09)

Sunday, September 6th, 2009


The chickens seem to be settling in well after their move to the cottage. The swallows are also giving the impression they may be leaving soon – they are driving me crazy – every time I get to the house I have to rescue about three and they are constantly screaming at me when I move around the cottage. They seem to be getting back later and later as if they are out training for the trip to Africa….

(04Sep09)

Friday, September 4th, 2009

Haven’t had much to post recently – all the progress is hidden, ie plumbing, cleaning, moving everything into one place……….Most of the central heating pipes are in place for upstairs but no radiators yet due no cash. Having problems with the water pressure for bex shower so will be supplying independant hot and cold feeds for possible future pump, and will raise the cold water tank to see if it improves.

Here’s a few pics I missed in earlier posts.

September 2009
M T W T F S S
« Aug   Oct »
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930