Archive for June, 2009

Plasterboard(28Jun09)

Sunday, June 28th, 2009


We are still plasterboarding upstairs – seems to go on for ever……………

Clearing(25Jun09)

Thursday, June 25th, 2009

Over the last few days most of the site has been cleaned up and it makes a huge difference. The back of the house now has a larger patio area and the front is totally flat. The concrete (barn floor) has also been flattened so it looks really smooth. The wall is looking great with all the loose mortar and branches off

CLICK ON THE BIG PICTURE TO SEE A PANORAMA OF THE BACK

Barn floor and pointing(24Jun09)

Wednesday, June 24th, 2009


(21June09

Sunday, June 21st, 2009

First Fix Electrics(16Jun09)

Tuesday, June 16th, 2009


Made progress this evening – Kiaron the electrician was up for about 3 hours and we fitted all the upstairs wireing except for smoke alarms and heating thermostat. I can now get on and finish boarding the rooms for plastering. We should be starting on Saturday (with me as labourer)?รก so I need to get stuck in….1 tonne of plaster, 1 tonne of cement, various beading’s, tape and foil backed plaster board all need delivering, cutting, fitting…………..

More Insulation(16Jun09)

Tuesday, June 16th, 2009

Peter has been doing a great job with the insulation – Bex room, Josh’s room and the hall are now finished – the master bedroom is started, then it’s just the landing area….

Plasterboard(14Jun09)

Sunday, June 14th, 2009

Not very good pics (from my phone) and boring post, but josh and I have fitted the first two sheets of plasterboard in Bex bedroom. We were trying out some telescopic clamps which hold the board in place and it worked really well. The two of us could quite easily lift an 8×4 sheet straight up.

Insulating, chopping and wiring(13Jun09)

Saturday, June 13th, 2009


The Insulation is done in Bex room (sloping bit only) – it makes the room look very different, almost as if it has been plaster boarded.

Peter has moved on to Josh’s room so we needed more sheets – Sue’s roller-skate just about did the job.

We finished chopping trees for the percolation area – just need the roots removing.

Josh and I also threaded the wires for the lighting in Bex room so we can start to board the ceiling…..

Clearing trees(11Jun09)

Thursday, June 11th, 2009



I have been chopping trees to make an space large enough for the percolation area which needs to be 110 sq meters.

The area needs a minimum of two feet of soil and will have a layer of gravel on top followed by a network of plastic pipes with holes, another layer of gravel, a breathable membrane and then topsoil. In theory effluent fluid will be pumped from the septic tank, distributed evenly through the pipes into the gravel/soil and bacteria will clean it up…….Hope it works!

Peter has also been battling with the polystyrene sheets again. We have now switched to a single thick 8×4 sheet rather than the smaller 4×2 50mm sheets which needed to be doubled up to give enough insulation – should make it faster to cut and fit.

Insulating the Bedrooms(10Jun09)

Wednesday, June 10th, 2009

We decided to use 100mm polystyrene between the rafters for the sloping part of the ceiling upstairs because we have limited space to fit insulation and leave an air gap. The flat part of the ceiling will have fiberglass or similar because it can be any thickness. It’s quite a slow process to cut and wedge the insulation.

June 2009
M T W T F S S
« May   Jul »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930